Directions for CD’s Decaf Lucid Dream Chai
My decaf masala chai recipe comes from ~25 years of experimenting and collecting comments.
To fill the tin shown below, I used 1 part = 5 grams (as measured with a Smart Weigh Digital Pro Pocket Scale). That results in about 250 grams of masala chai
It’s all made with freshly ground organic spices and teas, and I included links to source of ingredients from Amazon.com. Note: most of those quantities will make for a lot of chai.
One reason I came up with this recipe is because it’s hard to find good decaf Masala Chai, and I discovered it makes for a great drink before bed.
Starred (*) ingredients are known to impact sleep, and they are sometimes “known” to lead to lucid dreams.
Decaf Masala Chai Ingredients
- 6 parts Decaf English Breakfast Tea
- 6 parts Red Rooibos
- 6 parts Cinnamon Sticks
- 6 parts Crystalized Ginger
- 2.5 parts Orange Peel
- 2 parts Candied Pineapple (pineapple, sugar)
- 2 parts Candied Papaya (papaya, sugar)
- 1.5 parts Carob Nibs
- 1.5 parts Chicory Root *
- 1.5 parts Cardamom *
- 1 part Lemongrass *
- 1 part Black Pepper
- 1 part Anise *
- 1 part Coriander *
- 1 parts Cloves *
- 1 part Nutmeg *
- 1 part Vanilla Powder
- 1.5 Parts Cacao Nibs
- 5 Parts Allspice
I usually stop at the above ingredients; however, sometimes, I do add. Yerba Mate for Caffeine:
- 6-12 parts Yerba Mate
Decaf Masala Chai Ingredients I’ve considered but not tried yet
- 1 part Mugwort *
- 1 part Chamomile flower *
- 1 part Hazelnut
- 1 Part Sarsaparilla *
- 1 Part Passionflower
- 1 Part Lemon Balm
- 1 Part Oatstraw
- 1 Part Vervain *
Decaf Masala Chai Steps
- You first grind above spices and fruits in a VitaMix (or other grinder), and you then add tea and mix.
- You then stir a teaspoon into half a glass of milk (or half-and-half), and you can store the rest.
- Next, you heat until it starts boiling.
- Stir and let steep for 1 minute.
- Fill glass to top with boiling water
- Let steep for another two minutes.
- Strain into second glass or cup
- To sweeten, try using maple syrup.
- To make into a cool dessert drink, pour hot chai from above over vanilla ice cream in a cup.